The Good Growth Plan
We’re facing our toughest challenge. Every day, our planet wakes with 200,000 more mouths to feed, farmland lost to erosion and increased pressure on our natural resources. Many people who produce the world’s food are living in poverty, while biodiversity is disappearing fast. We have only one planet, and we’re using its resources 50 per cent faster than it can take. What we’re asking it to provide is simply not sustainable.
Something needs to change.
Here’s what Syngenta is doing about it
The Good Growth Plan is Syngenta’s commitment to make a measurable contribution by 2020. We are setting ourselves six specific targets related to improving resource efficiency, rejuvenating ecosystems and revitalising rural communities.
By 2020 we will:
Make crops more efficient
Increase the average productivity of the world’s major crops by 20 per cent without using more land, water or inputs.
Rescue more farmland
Improve the fertility of 10 million hectares of farmland on the brink of degradation.
Help biodiversity flourish
Enhance biodiversity on 5 million hectares of farmland.
Reach 20 million smallholders and enable them to increase productivity by 50 per cent.
Help people stay safe
Train 20 million farm workers on labour safety, especially in developing countries.
Look after every worker
Strive for fair labour conditions throughout our entire supply chain network.
Since the launch of our Good Growth Plan in 2014, we’ve worked with growers and partners across Australia and around the world to deliver measurable results. So far, globally we have:
• Make crops more efficient: Established 3,598 benchmark and reference farms
• Rescue more farmland: Impacted 800,000 hectares of farmland
• Help biodiversity flourish: Impacted 700,000 hectares of farmland
• Empower smallholders: Reached 15.3 million smallholders
• Helping people stay safe: Trained 4.7 million people
• Look after every worker: 28,361 seed supply farms included in Syngenta Fair Labor Program